The most important difference between a greenhouse and a solarium lies in the materials that cover the supporting structure: glass or plastic film. Learn from what follows which is the unequaled property of glass.
The price difference between the glass and the plastic film is very high, the plastic sheet being an option clearly more convenient in this regard.
Resistance over time
– Unlike glass, whose theoretical validity is unlimited, the plastic foil is fading over time, which leads to the limitation of the amount of light entering from the sun.
– In both cases (but especially in the case of glass) the use of an anti-hail net is required. In the eventuality of hail the losses may be total.
Thermal behaviorRead More
– The plastic film not only allows the penetration of a lower amount of solar radiation but is also permeable to caloric radiation.
– For this reason a solar heats up and also cools faster than a greenhouse.
– It results that the glass offers the possibility of controlling the temperature in protected spaces being superior to plastic film, with lower energy consumption.
– A greenhouse can be used in the winter for the cultivation of vegetables, floral species, etc. but the solarium does its job only when there’s good weather.
– Under domestic conditions, building a small greenhouse on the south side of the house, connected to the heating system offers optimal conditions for prolonging the gardening season or even permanence it throughout the year, especially in mild winters.
– Such a greenhouse also offers optimum conditions for keeping indoor plants over the winter
– A small domestic house populated with vegetables or plants can be a relaxation space but also a source of fresh vegetables (lettuce, spinach, onion).