When does the disease occur and how does it manifest itself?
1. Salad rot is a frequent disease, occurring both in seedlings, solariums, greenhouses and in field. It is caused by a microscopic fungus, called Sclerotinia Sclerotiorum.
2. The main contributing factor of the disease is high humidity.
3. The first signs of disease appear on the leaves from the outside of the rosette that wither, smear and then rot.
4. The rotting process continues to the leaves inside the rosette and, shortly, the disease affects the whole plant, turning it into a soft and brown mass.
5. In the final stage, the fungus mycelium appears on the surface of the plant as a grayish-white patch.
How to combat itRead More
2. In order to reduce the intensity of the attack the best things to do are to reduce the moisture by aerating the culture areas (seedlings, solarium, greenhouse), doing soil drainage, plant breeding and completely eliminating the weeds.
3. The plants which are affected by the disease must be removed from the culture.
4. After harvesting, all the vegetal debris will be removed and destroyed.
5. It is no longer recommended to cultivate green lettuce on a land where a significant attack has occurred for 4 years.