Why sometimes seeds do not germinate, the plants produce little or do not they taste?
1. The melon should be cultivated on fields that had in the previous year crops of lucerne, clover, pea, beans, onions, garlic, carrot, celery, potatoes. You can also cultivate melon after spring vegetables: spring onion, spinach, green lettuce and moonlit radishes.
2. The melon culture is established by direct sowing, work done at the beginning of May when the soil temperature stabilizes at 57°F. To obtain early crops, you can establish your crop also by seedling.
3. Seeds must be 2-3 years old. The seeds harvested in the previous year do not germinate. To speed up the growth, the wet seed will be kept for 24 hours at 77-86 ° F.Read More
5. When forming 2-3 leaves we should remove some plants. If we planted them in rows, it should remain one plant at every 30-35 cm and if we planted them in nests there should be 2 plants in every nest.
6. The melon is well tolerant to drought, but it is important that the plant does not suffer from lack of water especially at flowering-fructification.
7. The excess of water during fruit formation can cause it to crack and diminish the amount of sugar accumulated. For this reason, after the fruit formation, the plants are no longer irrigated. In the case of extreme drought small quantities of water are required.
8. Melons are harvested when the color of the fruit peel lights getting the characteristic appearance of the variety. Also the epidermis around the peduncle should be cracked.